<body>

Thank You To The Kindness In Hong Kong

Before I moved to Hong Kong, my good-hearted friends and colleagues warned me about the 'superficial' Hong Kongers, potential culture clash and to be wary of them. Having spent 5 months in Hong Kong and having worked the past 2.5 months at a bank (which I guess qualifies me as having gained some local working experience); I must say thank you to the kindness I have been bestowed in Hong Kong.


The security guards at my apartment block are very friendly (though I must admit they probably would not be able to fight a burglar) and neighbourly - they greet me with a smile and a "Lei Hou" [你好]when I see them before work and coming home.


My friendly landlord having to bear with my incessant follow-up SMS on the various domestic issues with the apartment, drew a map for me to show me the nearest drycleaners and guided me to the nearest clinic when I fell ill.


The mother and young son whom Chris and I met in the lift twice in the mornings to work - Chris greets them "Zou San" [早晨]and the little boy asks cheekily "Are you happy today?" in Cantonese and I burst out laughing before translating for Chris. The second time we met them, I asked the boy the same question and he asked me "Were you squashed today?" and proceeded to explain how he was squashed yesterday in the lift.


My friend GL who teased me about being a refugee (though I must admit I came up with the term myself) when I was trying so hard to fake the winter look simply by wearing black tights with my Singapore summer dresses. He is a good friend who helped me get in touch with his headhunter friends and bought me dinner when I was out of a job.


My great colleagues at work in HK whom made me feel very welcome. I get invited to all their events (horse-racing at Happy Valley for Chinese New Year celebration, Tung Po dinner, lots of dim sum lunches on work days). I love working with them and for my great boss. They are a great department and I feel very lucky and honoured to have worked with them the past months. I would have loved to stay with them as permanent but as fate would have it - it does not work out that way and I will leave when my contract is completed this March. I will definitely keep in touch with them; they reminded me of my happy days at JPMorgan when life was good with great colleagues and everyone got along harmoniously.


To the many headhunters who helped market me for jobs and to the people whom I have met for interviews. I have never had the experience of having two job offers on the table at the same time; nor having to decline a job because it was not what I want to do. It feels tough being a heart-breaker and telling all the great managers I met with "Sorry, I don't want to proceed with the next round of interview". Thank you for taking the time to meet me. I think I might have found what I am looking for in a job - a great manager who appreciates my working style. (Maybe it is just that I get along better with male managers.)


Finally, to thank the one person who made all this possible. Allman for having the opportunity to relocate back and taking it at my request. I love Hong Kong. I have never felt so welcome in a foreign land; where people appreciate me for what I am and want to hire me. For the friendly Hong Kongers who smile at me and to the little boy who asks the best question. I will ask him for his name next time.




min on Monday, March 01, 2010